Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Birthday Sleep-over Snack Food


On Saturday the 8 year old will be having his 9th birthday party at the local skating rink and afterward his 3 closest friends will spend the night with us for an "after party."  The party package includes pizza and sodas, but we'll be eating around 4:30.  So I thought our overnight guests will probably want more to eat later in the evening.  I can't see corralling them to sit down for a meal, though.  That's where heavy "finger food" snacks come in.  I'll be setting things out buffet style and letting the boys eat what and when they want.

We do have a few challenges, though.  Our choices need to be gluten free, egg free, and (mostly) meat free.  With that in mind, here's what we've come up with.

Cheese Quesadillas - filling, easy, and tween friendly.  (Gah! Did I just refer to my son and his friends as tweens?)


Mini tacos - I'll be using the filling from the Beef and Bean Taquitos to fill Tostito Scoops.  Then I'll top them with cheese and pop them in the oven until just warm and melty.  This will be our only option with meat.


Fruit and Cheese Skewers - Taking the idea from my Deli Sandwich Skewers, I'll be alternating strawberries, grapes, Monterrey jack and cheddar cheeses on bamboo skewers.  Let's just hope the boys hold the sword fighting with the skewers to a minimum.

Caramel Dip and Apples - Local apples are in season now, and this is a nice way of offering something sweet without going overboard.


Kettle Corn - Once the evening starts winding down and we pop in a movie, I'll make up a batch of kettle corn for the boys.  'Cause you can't have a sleep-over without movies and popcorn!


Lemonade - No party snack food is complete without something to drink with no nutritional value at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment