Thursday, June 28, 2012

Super Simple Lemonade


My best friend makes the most beautiful, delicious cakes fro scratch and often teases me for using a mix.  Baking is something I unfortunately gave up when my grandmother died.

On the other hand, though, my friend uses a popular powered mix for her lemonade.  Whenever we plan a joint get together, she makes the desserts, and I immediately volunteer to bring the lemonade.  I can't stand that powdered stuff, and lemonade with real lemon juice is ridiculously easy.  It's also ridiculously inexpensive compared to the powdered stuff.

We drink gallons of this in the summer time.  Occasionally I'll make pink (or green or blue) lemonade with food coloring to appease my 7 year old.

Simple Lemonade

1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of sugar
2 quarts of water
1 lemon, sliced (optional)

Pour lemon juice and sugar into 2 quart pitcher.  Mix until sugar is partially dissolved.  Pour in 2 quarts of cold water.  Stir well.  If desired, add lemon slices.  Refrigerate an hour or so to chill it well, or serve it immediately over ice. 

To make pink lemonade, add a tablespoon of grenadine.  To make other colors, add a few drops of food coloring.  Blue is difficult to achieve but you can get a decent greenish blue.

1 comment:

  1. I don't care for the powdered stuff either. Your lemon aide looks thirst quenching!

    ReplyDelete