Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stuffed Zucchini


In 2000 I went to a three day women's retreat through an organization connected to the Unitarian Universalist Association.  The chef at the retreat center was well known among many of the groups that attended events at the center.  He made hearty, rustic meals that were filling, nutritious and delicious.  One night the main course was stuffed zucchini.


Now, I have never been a big zucchini fan.  I eat it when it's served to me, but I don't go out of my way to buy it and fix it for myself.  So I put my serving of stuffed zucchini on my plate, loaded up with salad and bread in anticipation of not enjoying the main course, and found my seat.  Boy, was I in for a surprise.  One bite of the stuffed zucchini and I could have eaten all that was available.  In fact I tried to go back for seconds, but there wasn't any left!

It was full of vegetables like mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes.  There was a bit of heat from red pepper flakes and it had an overall smooth creaminess that was out of this world.

Over the years I've tried to reproduce that recipe, and have repeatedly kicked myself for not seeking it out from the chef himself.  The original was a vegetarian dish, but I have struggled to come up with similar flavors by making this vegetarian.  Although I am anxious to try seitan and red pepper flakes in place of the sausage soon and see if that works.  In the meantime, I have created a meat version of stuffed zucchini that is so close I couldn't possibly perfect it any more and makes both my husband and me happy.

I have also made this recipe using large yellow or summer squash.  While I prefer it with the zucchini, it's very good with the summer squash as well.

Stuffed Zucchini

2 medium zucchini
6 ounces bulk low fat sausage
1/4 cup red or orange bell pepper, diced
10 cherry tomatoes, halved or 1/4 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup white button or cremini mushrooms, diced
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown sausage in skillet over medium heat.

Meanwhile cut zucchini in half lengthwise.  Microwave 60 seconds to soften slightly.

Scoop out insides of zucchini to form a "boat," leaving sturdy walls.  Coarsely chop portion scooped out of zucchini and place in medium bowl.  Add bell pepper, tomatoes, cream cheese, mozzarella, salt and pepper.

Drain sausage and add to vegetables and cheese.  Stir to combine.

Stuff each zucchini half with one quarter of the mixture.  Place in baking dish.  Sprinkle bread crumbs over zucchini halves.  Bake for 30 minutes.

Makes 2 main dish servings or 4 side dish servings.

30 comments:

  1. I wish I could get Mr. B to love zucchini like I do because this looks awesome! Unfortunately unless it's disguised as bread he won't touch it! I will be saving this recipe for a night he is out and make it for myself though :-) Thanks so much for sharing at the party this week! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! A perfect summer lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful!! I have never had stuffed zucchini...it is going on my food bucket list! Thanks for playing in the Bloggy Olympics with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    We have lots of Zucchini in our garden right now and this will be a great recipe to try, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! I'll have to keep the recipe for zucchinni season. So glad that you added to our Olympics, hope you pop by and enter to win the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love zucchini!! This looks delishhh! Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum! Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday! I'm throwing a baby shower in a couple of weeks and had pinned another similar recipe to made. Yours looks delish too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect recipe for all the zucchini this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi came across you on WIP. Lovely recipe, I'll be trying this out on my daughter as she a vegi. Thanks for sharing. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love zucchini & I'm alway trying to find fun things to do with it other than make chocolate zucchinin bread or put in stir fry. This sound so good. I'd love if you shared it at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CAME OVER FROM GOINGS ON oops in texas that looks yumme we are going vegetarian though so I may revamp it with something besides sausage.
    thanks for sharing
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love zucchini, but never had it stuffed - adding this recipe to by list of summer foods. Thanks for sharing!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum...I'm bookmarking this for when the zucchini is ready in the garden! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so delicious! I love zucchini! Can't wait to try this out on my family. Visiting from Doodle & Stitches. Thanks so much for sharing! :-)
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am pinning this, I am loving the stuffing (everything in it) and I love zucchini:) Thank you for sharing this very different recipe at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good! Can't wait for zucchini season so we can try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUM! I love zucchini and I can't wait to try your recipe. I found you and your lovely blog via The Frugal Girls Chic & Crafty DIY party. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! I have a similar recipe to this but yours has mushrooms! I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for sharing. Love from Whimsically Homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing with us for Tasty Tuesday! We've featured this recipe this week, so I hope you'll come back and feel free to grab a featured button! ~Holley

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! I haven't made stuffed zucchini in years and this looks delish! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of sausage as stuffing... a complete meal with a loaf of crusty bread. thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks amazing and I know my husband would love the sausage :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just a quick note to tell you that I have featured these today over at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday. Thanks so much for linking up & hope to see you there this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! Thanks so much for linking up at Doodles & Stitches and for sharing the awesome recipe. I'm definitely going to try this and I just pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look awesome! Just in time as my zucchini plant starts growing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never even thought to stuff a zucchini! I will so have to try this! :) Thanks so much for sharing this with my Unveil Your Genius link party last week! I hope you link up again soon!
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/06/unveil-your-genius-link-party-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great recipe for our boatloads of zuchinni! Thanks for the great recipe! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  28. YUM!! Veggies and sausage are a home run in our house!! Thanks for sharing it at the {what's shakin' link party}!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like Zucchini and plan on having it in my garden next year. So, I pinned this recipe as a must try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete