Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pancakes


It's pancake night!  Well, almost.  Tuesday, we'll have pancakes to mark Fat Tuesday and the beginning of Lent.  While we aren't particularly religious, nor are we Catholic, I do like the idea of a period of reflection and service.  But I also like pancakes especially when they are covered in yummy berry syrup.

Actually growing up, I hated pancakes, and because my mother would much rather make pancakes than waffles (which I liked better), I dreaded "breakfast for supper nights."  It was really a texture thing more than a taste thing.  Fortunately I've gotten over that.


This recipe actually was adapted from the back of a Curious George book "Too Many Pancakes."  The 8 year old was a big Curious George fan, starting at 18 months or so.  When we read this book and found the recipe, he wanted me to make it.  We've adjusted it a bit and found that we love it so much, it's now our "family" pancake recipe.

It can be doubled, but I found the last time I did so, something went wrong and the pancakes turned out a bit tough.  After cooking, if you have some leftover, just place them on a cookie sheet, freeze for a few hours and then put them in an airtight container or zippie bag until needed.  Great for busy mornings!

Pancakes

1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Oil a large skillet or griddle and heat on medium.  

Mix egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl and slowly add dry ingredients.

Pour batter in skillet or griddle.  Flip when surface begins to bubble and edges appear dry.

Serve with butter, maple syrup, berry syrup, or your favorite toppings.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment