Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Yellow Rice


I realized the other night when I made this fantastic dish by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom that I had never shared my yellow rice recipe with you.  It's such a simple recipe, it's easy to overlook, but it's such a versatile side dish and good starter for more substantial recipes.  The best part about this is, it's cheaper and healthier than those boxes or bags of yellow rice mix in the grocery store.  I know exactly what I'm eating when I make it myself and it takes only an extra minute to or two.

And did you know you can freeze cooked rice?  The 8 year old doesn't always eat rice.  Sometimes he will and sometimes he just pushes it around his plate.  So I never give him very much and let him ask for more if he decides he'll eat it.  I hate to let it go to waste.  Because of that, we frequently have leftovers.  I've taken to making double the rice we'll eat in one meal and freezing half of it.  Contrary to most things, it seems to freeze better if the rice is still warm.  Just try not to put it in the freezer next to the ice cream!  To reheat, warm defrosted rice with a little water in a 2 quart saucepan or in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.


Yellow Rice


1 cup jasmine rice
1 shallot, finely diced or 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
1 teaspoon oil
1 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup chicken broth

Combine all ingredients in a 2 quart sauce pan.  Boil uncovered until water just skims the surface of the rice.  Turn down heat to low, cover and cook another 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with fork and let stand another 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment