Friday, July 5, 2013

Mexicali Corn and Bacon Relish



Yesterday we went to a neighborhood cookout hosted by the family of one of the 8 year old's friends.  The cookout was covered dish, so I took the opportunity to add another dish to my covered dish/pot luck repertoire.  A few weeks ago I'd run across a recipe for bacon corn relish that sounded good but the flavor profiles weren't what I wanted.  So this dish is very much inspired by what I found, but really the only thing that stayed the same were the corn, bacon, and onions.

As an aside, is there anything that smells better cooking than bacon and onions?  YUM!

For the tequila in this, I used some of my husband's Cabo Wabo, but any tequila would work.  I also used spring onions because I had some that really needed to be used up.  But red onions would be lovely in this.  We served this warm, but I think it would be fantastic cool too.

Mexicali Corn and Bacon Relish

2 (15 ounce) cans or 4 cups corn
6 slices bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 ounces tequila
dash chipotle powder
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown bacon until it has rendered some of its fat.  Add onions and jalepeno and saute until bacon is crisp and vegetables are soft.

Turn down the heat to medium low and deglaze the pan with tequila.  If using a gas stove, REMOVE PAN FROM FLAME before adding the tequila.  Scrap all the browns bits off the bottom of the pan and cook until tequila has reduced by half.

Stir in corn and cook until corn is warm and well coated with tequila and bacon fat.  Season with salt, pepper, and chipotle powder to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment