Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Not a Typical Food Blogger


My little blog is almost just barely 6 months old  now and I realize more and more that I am not your typical food blogger.  I hope that makes me stand out in a crowd.

Why do I say I'm not typical?  Well many food bloggers cook earlier in the day so they can get great food shots.  Oh, if I could, I would, but I just don't have that kind of time or resources.

I get home from my first job at 1:30p.m., have to pick up the 8 year old at 2:25p.m.  Two days a week, I also pick up another boy at a different school at 2:45p.m.  Those days are interesting to get where I need to be on time without breaking any traffic laws!  I'm sure I'm not any busier than the average mother, and I'm certainly not trying to say I am.  I just can't juggle as much as some mothers.

Another thing is, what I cook and photograph for this blog, with the exception of the rare sweet and goodie, is what we have for supper that night.  I don't cook for the blog first.  I cook for the family first.  I love that there are bloggers out there who can cook for their blogs.  Some of my best meals and inspirations come from them.  For now, though, it's just not something I can do.

You know all those cool kitchen appliances and gadgets?  Yeah, chances are I don't have them.  No Kitchen Aid (someday), no food processor, no silpats.  Heck I don't even have a lemon juicer, my pots and pans are 20 years old.  I've used the same sad hand-me-down pizza pan and cookie sheet for the last 20 years as well.  My nicest small kitchen appliance?  A refurbished 15 year old Kitchen Aid blender that I broke half the gear teeth off of trying to blend up some chicken meatballs for the 8 year old when he was the 2 year old.  You have to hold the blender jar on tightly so the gear teeth will meet the underside of the blade and make it turn properly.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not crying poor me.  The fact of the matter is there is a reason my kitchen items are that old and sort of sad.  I believe in the old New England saying "Use it up. Wear it out.  Make do or do without."  I don't really need a lemon juicer or a new blender.  I'd love to have a big stand mixer or food processor, but my blender and mini food chopper do most of the jobs I want them to do.  My pots and pans are still in good shape (although the copper bottoms could use a good cleaning).  I did buy new non-stick pans in January because the two I had were so horribly scratched they weren't non-stick anymore.

So from one non-typical food blogger, I say make do and Keep on Cooking!

4 comments:

  1. I with you friend,..I don't have gadgets and I also would love a kitchen-aid blender/mixer thing-a-ma-jig...my little hand held mixer is missing,don't know what happened to it,got gone when we moved in our new home(this home is a much planned and dream come true-after 26 years)..I make do with what I have,I did get a set of Paula Deen cook ware and few new dishes,but still don't have a mixer/blender,soooooo I can relate to the saying:"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do or do without."...thanks for sharing this,I enjoyed reading and thinking you are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eyeing the Paula Deen cookware for when I finally decide to give up on my 20 year old pots and pans. They look really nice. Maybe if you ask, Santa will bring you a new hand mixer for Christmas. ;-) One can do without it, but it's much more difficult to make whipped cream by hand.

      Delete
  2. Well said! My copper bottoms are still hanging in there too! It's sad but the new appliances don't work as well as the old reliables. Lately I find myself "wanting" a stand mixer but I don't have the counter space for one and I don't bake that much so it must be all the other blogs that have me thinking about getting one! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep wondering if my lust for a big stand mixer is because "everyone" has one. Although I do think I might bake more if I did have one. Maybe I should just borrow my best friend's for a week or so and see.

      Delete