Monday, November 26, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - The Week After


We celebrated Thanksgiving with my in-laws on Thursday and my parents on Friday.  My dad and husband deep fried the most beautiful turkey for us.  It was so moist and delicious and smelled so ridiculously good that as soon as the aroma wafted through the house, everyone was immediately drawn into the dinning room to watch my husband carve.
My mom and I tried desperately to screw up the gravy.  She nearly burned it.  I thought it needed more flavor and ended up with it too salty and too thin.  In an effort to save it, rather than making a slurry, I just dumped flour in it.  I managed to get all the lumps out, but it took a lot of work and a lot of whisking.  Not our best kitchen moment, but it turned out okay.

On Saturday, my mom and I participated in Small Business Saturday by heading out to a local quilt shop to take advantage of a great sale - 25% off everything in the store.  We do not shop on Black Friday.  It's worth spending extra money not to be a part of what is increasingly becoming (in my opinion) a shameful commentary on the materialism in America.  I bought some fat quarters to make Christmas gifts.  My mom got some fabric for a quilt for my nephew and lining for a shrug she's making for me.  We then ate at a local deli, where I had a fab tuna melt.

And so now we're back home and ready to return to a tiny bit of normal life.  There will be tree and house decorating this weekend, of course, but we don't really go overboard here.  And the 8 year old desperately needs his hair cut.

Sunday - Chicken Gyros, Yellow Rice
I wanted something light and easy and this seemed to fit the bill.  I didn't follow Miz Helen's recipe (linked above) exactly, but it was close enough.

Monday - Alice Springs Chicken, Fried Potatoes, Salad, Bread
The why is escaping me at the moment, but this didn't get made last week.

Tuesday - Fish Tacos, Leftover Yellow Rice
My husband loves fish tacos, but I haven't quite perfected the sauce yet.  I'll bread the fish similar to my southern fried fish.


Wednesday - Julia Child's Ham and Potato Casserole, Green Beans, Bread
This was so popular the last time I fixed it.  I hope it works out this time too.


Thursday - Slow Cooker Barbeque Chicken, Cole Slaw, Rolls
I had leftovers of this when both sets of parents were here for the 8 year old's birthday party.  Everyone loved it so much there was barely enough for me to get a tiny slider out of it.

Friday - Leftovers
We've ended up with too many leftovers at the end of the week, so I'm going to have to start having a leftovers night more often.

Saturday - Out
The 8 year old wants to go to a local restaurant we haven't been to in a while.  I figure after a long day of decorating for Christmas, we might all want to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment