Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grilled Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders


This recipe is a lesson in frugality, ingenuity and being able to adapt.  I wanted to grill bacon wrapped scallops for Independence Day, knowing scallops would be on sale at our local Fresh Market.  But then we were without power for five days that week following a storm that left the Virginia (and other areas) in a state of emergency.
Once we returned to our house and to some sort of normalcy, scallops were no longer on sale and were $15.99 a pound.  Well, a pound of scallops would seriously wreak havoc on my budget.  So, while at the grocery store, I brainstormed what I could do instead, using the same marinade ingredients with a base of olive oil and lemon juice.

While they are a far cry from scallops, chicken tenders would also do well with my base ingredients.  I also got lucky that 3 pound bags of chicken tenders were on sale for 20% off.  So instead of paying $16 a pound for scallops, I paid a little over $2.50 a pound for the tenders.  My husband and I really liked these, and we're certain the 7 year old would have liked them too.  I'll have to remember to make these again when he's here to enjoy them.  

A pound of chicken tenders turned out to be 8 tenders for us.  The fennel fronds are optional.  While I could detect their aroma, I don't think it's worth buying a full fennel bulb just for the small amount of fennel fronds my recipe calls for.

Grilled Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders

1 pound of chicken tenders
4 slices of bacon (half a slice for each tender), cut in half
zest of one lemon
juice of half a lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel fronds, snipped (optional)

In a small bowl, combine zest and lemon juice.  Slowly drizzle oil into bowl while constantly whisking the juice.  Once fully emulsified, stir in black pepper and fennel fronds.

Lay chicken tenders flat on a platter.  Pour marinade over them, turning them once or twice to coat.  Let marinate in the refrigerator 1 - 2 hours.

Preheat grill to medium high.  Meanwhile, wrap each chicken tender with half a piece of bacon, securing with a toothpick.  Grill on each side 7 minutes or until no longer pink inside.

Remove toothpicks before serving.

20 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I bet the bacon helped keep the chicken moist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I understand about the scallops. If they weren't so expensive, I'd cook them every week! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this way to do tenders! I found this via Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms. I have linked in my latest attempt at meatballs. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danger zone...these look so tempting! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe on Southern Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a simple and delicous recipe! I'll have to try it out as my mouth is watering right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great substitution! We lived in land locked Utah so Scallops are not readily available. But chicken tenders are always in my freezer! My boys would love these.
    I'm excited to be a new blog follower. There is always something new to learn.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate with things don't work out like planned (in regards to food lol). Looks like it turned out wonderful though! I pinned you to try soon.

    -Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to add flavor! And it sure was a better deal than the scallops! Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound awesome! Thanks for linking up at Thursday Food Fest! Smiles, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious! And so much more accessible than scallops. (I'm glad you went with chicken!) That corn is beautiful, by the way. Thanks for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bacon wrapped chicken tenders - they would make great appetizers too! Found you at the Happy Hour

    ReplyDelete
  12. We would love this .... pinned! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura,
    This is a great recipe, I really love the addition of the fennel to the flavor. I am looking forward to trying this recipe. Hope you are having a great summer week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids want bacon everything these days... I limit them. They will be thrilled about this recipe. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look amazing! Such great flavor combinations:) And adding the bacon was ingenious:) I am pinning this because I must try it. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, these look delicious! Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look really good! I love that they are wrapped in bacon. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds so good and a nice change from all the usual chicken tender recipes I use. Love the idea of wrapping the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for letting me link to this delicious recipe in my holiday round up :) Looks wonderful! http://kitchengirljo.blogspot.com/2014/05/memorial-day-bbq-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete