Friday, June 7, 2013

Cast Iron Skillet Breakfast Casserole


When I decided to go gluten free back in January to help me resolve some of my health issues, one of my first challenges was what to eat for breakfast.  I know it's the most important meal of the day, but it's a meal I usually just grabbed some cereal or a muffin while trying to get the 8 year old off to school.  I was even guilty of stopping for a doughnut more often than could be called a special treat.

I quickly figured out that if I didn't have something easy to make or pre-made that I could warm up, I'd end up not eating.  And since I don't eat lunch until 1:30p.m. due to my work schedule, that was just asking for a disaster.  Over the last few months, I've found some really great gluten free ideas for breakfast that work with my mornings.   I've made batches of homemade oatmeal packets; snack mixes with gluten free cereals, dried fruit, and almonds; and granola "cupcakes."

In the course of experimenting with more breakfast ideas and for some recipes I could try over the campfire this summer when we go camping, I came up with this cast iron skillet breakfast casserole loaded with eggs, sausage, potatoes, and cheese.  This just the filling meal I need to get me through my morning.

Cast Iron Skillet Breakfast Casserole

1/2 pound low fat bulk sausage
half a large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 cups frozen hash browns
6 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a 10 inch cast iron skillet, mix together sausage, onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook until sausage is no longer pink.

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in hash browns.  Pour egg mixture over sausage and vegetables.  Sprinkle with cheese.

Remove pan from heat and place in oven.  Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until center is cooked and cheesy is bubbly.

Remove leftovers from skillet and store in separate container.

Makes 8 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment