Monday, January 28, 2013

Meal Plan Monday - January 27 - February 2


This weekend we started working on Pinewood Derby cars for the 8 year old's Pinewood Derby in a few weeks.  These cars are small model cars made from a block of wood.  Cub Scouts build them (with help from parents and leaders) to race on a track.  Our pack also hosts a race for parents, leaders, and siblings, but the catch with that race is the slowest car to cross the finish line wins.

We celebrated my birthday yesterday evening with a nice dinner just the three of us.  I made an awesome chocolate Bundt cake with homemade strawberry sauce and whipped cream.  My inspiration was {nifty thrifty thing's} Black Forest Bundt Cake.  My husband and the 8 year old prefer strawberries to cherries and I don't really have enough room in my fridge for a full cake, so I added the sauce and whipped cream to each slice as I served.

This week, aside from the cake, I'm starting to eliminate gluten from my diet.  Yes, I know.  It's all or nothing with gluten when you're trying to eliminate it from your diet.  Next week, the cake will be gone; I'll be gluten free completely.  My grocery shopping trip this weekend was interesting, but not as challenging as I thought. I even bought some gluten free all purpose flour to try out.

Sunday - Salmon with Creamy Pesto Sauce, Rice, Salad
We love salmon and haven't had it in quite a while because normally we grill it instead of cooking it in the oven or on the stovetop.  I used a new recipe for the creamy pesto sauce rather than my usual cilantro cream sauce.  This one called for cream cheese, milk and prepared pesto.  It was very good, but the sauce could have been a tad thinner.  Overall, though, a perfect birthday dinner.

Monday - Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup, Salad
We've had this soup a couple times and it's delicious.

Tuesday - Chicken and Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce, Broccoli 
I found this while searching for gluten free recipes.  Looks like something we'll all enjoy so long as I pick off the mushrooms for the 8 year olds.

Wednesday - Tortilla Torte
Carry over from last week.  Okay, I admit to complete failure here.  Last week I got home from the grocery store and then realized that did not buy any of the ingredients for this.  Rather than making another trip to the grocery, we had something else that night.

Thursday - Slow Cooker Pork Roast, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
I found a fantastic pork roast on mark-down a few weeks ago.  Really looking forward to this and a lot of leftovers from it too.

Friday - Pizza out.
The 8 year old and I are going to a Cub Scout "camp-in" at the local science museum.  He will have pizza.  I will bring a packed dinner.

Saturday - Leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment