Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cranberry Relish


When I was growing up my mom would make this awesome cranberry relish.  There really was no recipe.  She'd just chop up some apples and oranges and push them through her meat grinder with cranberries until her taste testers (my brother and me) said it was perfect.  There may have been some lemon juice and sugar involved, but 30-some years later, I don't really remember.  Every Thanksgiving for years I've wanted that cranberry relish again.

Recently I came across a few cranberry sauces and relishes that I thought might have similar flavors to what Mom used to make.  One that stood out in particular had ginger in it and another had pineapple.  So I decided one afternoon this weekend to fiddle around with flavors until I found something that reminded me of my childhood.  What I managed to come up with is not exact; it really needs some orange to be perfect, but it is good.  I used a granny smith apple. 

Cranberry Relish

12 ounces cranberries
1 apple, cored and diced
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons lime
8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved

Pour all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until completely chopped.  Add a little of the reserved pineapple juice of the mixture seems too dry.  Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I never used to like cranberries, but now I have a new love for them. This looks really good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared this on my facebook page! All the best in the blogging world!
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should try this.... After all, hubby went to the store for me and when he returned he showed me a bag of cranberries, they were only a dollar he said. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Looks perfectly delicious. I'm now following you. I would love if you stopped by, feel free to follow back
    http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete