Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nana's Sausage Gravy - Recipe


The 8 year old's two favorite meals in the world are anything that has refried beans and "gravy."  What he means when he asks for that is biscuits and sausage gravy.  He doesn't really care about the biscuits, so I get away with using pre-made biscuits from the store.  I like the home style ones over the flaky ones for "gravy."

But what the 8 year old does care very much about is the sausage gravy.  He'd really prefer his Nana's to anyone else's, but when she isn't around, he will eat what I make.  However, I'd better make it just like Nana!  Once I let the sausage brown just a touch too long and there were lots of yummy brown bits on the bottom of the pan to scrape up.  It turned the gravy slightly darker than off white.  The 8 year refused to touch it.

So when the 8 year old turned eight this week his request for supper on his birthday was "gravy."  Not one to deny my boy, I made him Nana's Sausage Gravy.

I've listed salt and pepper in the ingredients, but I go very very light on both.  The sausage is salty enough, you really only need to add a tiny bit of flavor to the gravy.

Nana's Sausage Gravy

1/2 pound bulk sausage
3 tablespoons flour
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper

Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.  Once browned, stir in flour.  Mix flour with fat from pan and sausage for one minute to let flour cook.  Pour milk and water into pan and stir well.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Let mixture come to a low boil, stirring frequently.  Once thickened, about 5 minutes, remove from heat.  If it becomes too thick, stir in a little extra milk or water.

To serve, split biscuits in half and place on plate.  Pour gravy over each biscuit.  Makes enough to cover 6 to 8 biscuits.

4 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've made sausage gravy, I'm going to try your version. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are so funny! I remember being the same way. My poor mom would try to cook something my great-grandma made--which we devoured at her house, only to have us snub it because it wasn't just right. A plate of biscuits and gravy sounds so good right now. Thank you for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up your recipe for the Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange, it looks so good! I think I'm going to make some with my homemade sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 8 year old's birthday "gravy" was the most clicked link from last week's See Ya In the Gumbo! You'll be featured when this week's link goes up tonight.

    ReplyDelete