Monday, September 3, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - Labor Day Edition


Last week was so crazy, my meal plan at the at the end of the week was full of scribbles, arrows, and crossed out notations.  Part of this was because I forgot about Back to School Night at the 7 year old's school when I made up the plan.  Since I'm on the PTA board, I had to be there for hot dogs, meet the teacher and a general PTA meeting.  So we ended up having to switch not only some meals around, but also the day I keep my friend's son.  And then the 7 year old had a playdate on Friday.  My seasonal allergies have been kicking me in the butt, so rather than cooking Friday, my husband and I ate leftovers.
I also forgot until I had my meal plan printed I wanted to make Watermelon Shrimp Salad because I had some a huge watermelon from a friend's garden to use up.  There is lots carry-over this week.

The 7 year old is adjusting to second grade well, but I got the same thing from his teacher I've gotten from every teacher since PreK.  "He is smart, well-behaved, gets along with others, but he takes too much time completing his work.  Pacing is an issue."  We really struggled in kindergarten especially.  So we're monitoring right now to see if he manages to pick up the pace a little.  His challenge is he's a visual spatial learner and therefore tends not to commit anything to paper until he knows it's right because he's figuring it all out in his head.


Sunday - Ribs/Hamburgers, Homemade Tator Tots, Corn on the Cob, Key Lime Pie
Carried over from Saturday.  The tots were good and the key lime pie recipe is handed down from my great-grandmother who was from Key West.

Monday - Slow Cooker Pork Chops, Baked Fennel, Salad

Tuesday - Chicken Gyros, Yellow Rice
And yet another carry over from last week.  I'm going to try to make my own yellow rice and cut yet another convenience food from my short list of convenience foods we use on a regular basis.

Wednesday - Beefy Noodle Bake, Green Beans
Adapted from one of my favorite Pioneer Woman recipes.  I think this will use up the last of the 2 cases of green beans my mother-in-law bought us six months ago.


Thursday - Spicy Bean Burritos, Tomatillo Salsa with Avocado, Rice
I love these super simple burritos.  Usually I just fold mine like a taco, add some tomato and salsa and chow down.

Friday - King Ranch Casserole, Salad
Haven't had this since June, and I really loved it on our first try.

Saturday - Something with spaghetti squash
I bought a spaghetti squash and the community market last weekend.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, but some sort of meatless entree.  I'm still looking for recipes.

1 comment:

  1. We love the PW noodle bake too. So easy and so filling!

    ReplyDelete