Thursday, July 19, 2012

Working Ahead - Vegetable Prep

One of the things I always think will just take a moment or two but ends up taking longer is all the vegetable prep for my salads or dicing onions for casseroles.  So when I bring out my cutting board for one job, I look at the meal plan for the remainder of the week to see what else I can prep at the same time.


If I need diced onions for three meals, I dice enough at one time for all three meals.  I cut up salad fixin's for two days at a time (much longer and your lettuce could wilt).

Here I cut up lettuce and tomatoes for salad one night and Petro's the next.  I stored the lettuce separately from the tomatoes in the fridge so things don't get soggy.
Then while I had the cutting board and knife out, I chopped zucchini and onions and cleaned mushrooms for a third night.  The zucchini, onions and mushrooms were to be marinated together, so I stored them in a larger container together.  The entire process took less than 20 minutes.  I only had to get things out of the fridge once and only had to clean the cutting board and knife once for the next three nights.

Find the whole "Working Ahead" series here.

2 comments:

  1. I used to do this a lot in the past, but now that I'm home more often, I don't need to. I think this is a great solution for those pressed for time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip. Glad I found this through It's a Keeper's linky party. I linked in a salad using leftover roast lamb. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete