Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer Vegetable Quesadillas


A few weeks ago when the power was out, we stayed a couple nights with my best friend and her family who are vegetarian.  The first night we were all there for supper, she and I quickly brainstormed on something the majority of us would eat.  After checking her fridge for food she and I both owned, we realized I had an abundance of summer squash and tortillas.  She had zucchini, peppers, cheese, and onions.  Summer Vegetable Quesadillas were born.  Both my 7 year old and hers had plain cheese quesadillas with fruit and cherry tomatoes on the side.  Everyone seemed happy with supper.
You can adjust the measurements of vegetables to your tastes.  Basically you want 2 cups of vegetables for four quesadillas.  I used yellow zucchini for the batch shown in these pictures so it's difficult to tell that there is zucchini.  I also used green bell peppers because that was what was available at the market, but any color would work well.  A little sour cream to top them with is wonderful.

I made this at home again later.  Both times we've served this with plain jasmine rice and a small side salad.  My husband put the rice on his quesadilla, which looked fab, but he snarfed it up before I could take a picture of it.

1 1/2 tablespoon oil, divided
1/2 cup zucchini, diced
1/2 cup summer squash, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
salt
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
4 whole wheat tortillas
sour cream, optional

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Once hot, add all the vegetables.  Add cumin, chili powder, and salt.  Saute until vegetables are soft and just starting to caramelize.  Remove from heat.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a separate skillet (or spray lightly with cooking spray).  Once hot, place a tortilla in the skillet and warm 20-30 seconds.  Flip over and add 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/4 of the vegetable mixture. Cook just long enough for the cheese to melt - about 30 seconds to a minute.  Fold in half and place on plate.

Cut into fourths or thirds.  Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired.  Serves 4.

29 comments:

  1. Sonds like you and your friend had a wonderful dinner. Sometimes these meals that are made out of what's in stock are the best. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look scrumptious! Thanks for showing us the difference between softened and caramelized... great post!
    Thank you so much for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY with this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this sounds and looks so good! I LOVE quesadillas. This seems like a really hearty one too. Can't wait to try it! P.S. I am officially your newest follower! Yay for being blog friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I make quesadillas often for lunch--we love them and we love trying new versions. Thank you for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quesadillas. I could seriously eat them for every meal.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yum! Thanks for sharing with us for Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look SUPERB
    Being a vegetarian myself - it's a great meal for me
    Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

    PS I am now following your blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks just fantastic. Great picture. I cannot wait to try out your recipe. Come over and visit us. We would love to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy! It is similar to something we have made many times that I can get both my kids to eat. Love it and love getting all those veggies in them! I'm pinning this to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious. I often make quesadillas for a quite, easy dinner when I'm short on time, energy or inspiration. I've never filled them with vegetables like this though - I totally need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! And healthy too. Love it! Thanks for linking up to TFF.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We enjoy quesadillas on occasion - and I love that this is veggie-filled and healthier! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent brainstorm! And perfect for all the summer veggies right now. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great use of veggies! A healthy quesadilla, I love it! It's nice to take a break from meat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it. They look so delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Laura,
    This is a beautiful Quesadilla, that I wish I could have right now. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO yum and healthy!!!! I am visiting from the happy hours projects linky. I am your newest follower! I blog over at http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ hope you will stop by and do the same. I also have an awesome giveaway going on right now with a Cricut Machine! It onlt has hours left on it so hurry and enter!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm, these sound so good. We have lots of squash that might end up making these.

    We'd love for you to link up at our Finished Friday blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OHHHH I Love quesedillas! This looks so cheesey and gooey and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. my family would love this recipe and a great way to get veggies in diet

    come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/08/pbj-sushi.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look delicious. Can't have too many quesadilla recipes. Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe and thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches. I hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for a delicious looking recipe, this is one I'm ready to try as we love meat and cheese quesadillas and love veggies, so it should be a winner at our house!! Hope you have a fun filled Passion Parade weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So healthy, great use of summer vegetables a very versatile recipe. I would guess you can substitute whatever veggies are ready in your garden. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great recipe- I'll be featuring it this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Delicious!!! So glad you shared at Fit and Fabulous Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum, this look delicious! I love the use of all the summer produce while we can :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday each week. I appreciate YOU! Can't wait to see what you link up next :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete