Monday, May 21, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - May 20 - 26

I do a meal plan for dinner each week before I go to the grocery store.  It helps me save money and time through the week.  Once I plan out the meals, I post a spreadsheet on the fridge so everyone knows "What's for dinner."  Here's what this week looks like.


Sunday - Chicken Santa Fe, Yellow Rice, Salad
We love this simple dish, adapted from a restaurant we ate at years ago in Nashville, TN.

Monday - Fried Chicken, Pasta Salad, Potato Salad
The church I work for had leftovers from an event this weekend and I was offered all of the above to take home. When you have a tight grocery budget and are trying to live frugally, never, ever turn down free food.

Tuesday - Jambalaya with Shrimp, French Bread
A confession: I don't buy many convenience foods, but I still regularly buy Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya mix.  I'll add half a pound of shrimp to this for 3 people, still making it reasonably frugal, and serve it with French bread.

Wednesday - Tuscan White Bean and Chicken Stew, Salad
This is a new favorite, chosen this week to use up spinach from the market last week.

Thursday - Chicken Tortellini Casserole (from Luv Strawberry Cake), Green Beans or Corn
Each week I try to make a new recipe. I have high hopes my 7 year old will like this one, although I suspect he won't like the mushrooms.  The good thing about this recipe is that the ingredients are layered, so I can pick the mushrooms off his serving before it gets to the table.

Friday - Eggplant Parmesan, Salad, Bread
My husband requested this as our vegetarian meal of the week.  Since January we've been trying to cut back on red meat and trying to have at least one vegetarian meal a week.  I'm going to make this similar to Olive Garden with breaded and fried eggplant rounds and spaghetti or angel hair on the side.  My favorite homemade marinara sauce is from The Naptime Chef and featured here on one of my favorite blogs Recipe Girl.

Saturday - Out at Festival in the Park
My son's favorite festival of the year is Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.  I know he'll get drawn in to the food stands, so Saturday we'll eat out without worrying about the money (too much) and have a light supper of sandwiches or leftovers once we finally get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment