Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Chicken Croquettes


I get off work just in time to come home and have a quiet lunch before picking up my son from school.  Not being a big fan of sandwiches, I rely often on leftovers.  On days we don't have leftovers, I tend to scavenge.  However several months ago I ran across a recipe for turkey croquettes that I thought would be good to make in a large batch and freeze for my lunch occasionally.  On my first attempt, ground chicken was on sale, so I bought that instead of ground turkey, and I've been making it with chicken instead since.  Some of the flavor combinations in the original recipe didn't appeal to me either, so I used it as a base and created my own recipe from there.

These are quick to make up and freeze very well.  I pan fry them frozen.  Just be sure to cook them completely in the middle.  Here are my chicken croquettes pictured with some leftover pasta salad from Monday.   (It's a yummy pasta.  I must figure out who made it and get the recipe!)

Chicken Croquettes

1/2 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 pound ground chicken
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (like Lowrey's)
freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.  Add diced onions and saute until translucent.  Let cool while combining the rest of the ingredients.

In bowl, mix chicken, breadcrumbs, milk, seasoned salt and pepper.  Add in onions.  Mix well.  Refrigerate 30 minutes.  Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.  Form into small patties - about 3 inches in diameter.  (I used an ice cream scoop to make balls and then flattened the balls).  Place patties on baking sheet and freeze until firm.  Remove from baking sheet and store in zip-lock bags or in freezer safe containers.

To cook, remove patties from freezer and defrost in the refrigerator several hours.  (Or you can cook them from frozen.  They will just take a little longer.)  Heat olive or vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.  Place patties in pan and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes, making sure they are cooked through.

12 comments:

  1. Oh gosh... My mom used to make chicken croquettes and I haven't had them in years! I'm definitely bookmarking your recipe and can't wait to try them! Stopping by from Miz Helen's and newly following through RSS feed. Thanks for the recipe and the blast from the past! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could help remind you of something from your mom. Some of my mom's recipes bring back so many memories for me. In fact I was typing up one the other day and I could just *see* our big garden and all the canning supplies in her kitchen. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,
    What a great recipe, we would really enjoy these Chicken Croquettes. Hope you have a great holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a good holiday weekend too, Miz Helen. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like super simple kid-friendly meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it would be. I've been selfish and actually haven't made any for my 7 year old. But he loves chicken, so he'd probably go crazy for them.

      Delete
  4. Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    --Kaite
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so delicious! Haven't seen a croquette recipe in a long time. We love this!! We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I could go for this RIGHT NOW! :)
    :) thanks for linking on successful Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete