Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Meal Plan - September 30 - October 6


Next week is the last week the community market is open.  I'm going to miss walking down to the village with my family each Saturday morning for fresh local produce.  There is another community market that runs year round a bit further away but they are open on Tuesday afternoons, which is a bit challenging for me.  We'll see if I can manage to get there at least every other week.
I'm in full blown party planning mode.  I'm not a party thrower.  In fact I throw exactly one party a year - for the 7 year old's birthday.  This year he wanted a party based on a role playing game (RPG) that he and his best friend created.  At first I thought the idea was horrible, but now that I've started planning for it, I'm liking it better and better.  It helps that all his little 7 year old friends think it's a great idea too.  I think I've got all the food but the grapes and ice cream purchased.  At some point this week I need to make a volcano cake, pop some kettle corn, and make these cool astronaut energy bars from Call Me PMc.  Per request they will be made with just red, blue, and green M&M's.  (Fortunately we have a store here where I can buy off brand M&M's in specific colors!)

And did I tell you we babysat a guinea pig this weekend?  She's very sweet and lovable, but the dog thought she was a squeak toy and the 7 year though she was a ZuZu pet.  They both just wanted to play with her, but they both stressed me out a little.

Sunday - Chicken Paprikash, Amish Egg Noodles, Salad
Even the non tomato eating 7 year old liked this.  I used crushed tomatoes instead of petite diced so I could hide the tomatoes a bit more.  He ate it faster than we could cut it and put it on his plate.  I bought the Amish egg noodles from my favorite stall at the community market.


Monday - Slow Cooker Barbeque Chicken, Cole Slaw, Corn on the Cob
Even though I posted this recently, we actually haven't had it in quite a while.  Seeing the pictures for it when I did the post made me want it again.  Last week we had corn on the cob from the market.  The 7 year old asked for half of mine and ate it ALL for the first time EVER.  He then asked for more, so we bought more corn at the market Saturday just for him.  This may be the last he gets until next summer.

Tuesday - Mom's Chili, Cornbread
My mother's chili is actually my grandmother's chili; it's been in the family for 70 years or more.  No matter how old I get or how many times I make it, it will always be "Mom's Chili."

Wednesday - Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
My husband wanted pot pie and it's going to be a busy week.  I'm going to experiment with a recipe for the slow cooker.

Thursday - Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches, Salad
I saw Chicken Parm Sandwiches out in the blogsphere somewhere.  I didn't bookmark them.  I think, though, I'll use the same topping I used for my eggplant Parmesan to bread some chicken breasts.  Then I can use up the kaiser rolls I bought for the barbeque chicken.


Friday - Southern Fried Fish, Cole Slaw, French Fries
I know we just had this recently, but I want it again, gosh darn it.  And I need to use up the cole slaw from Monday. 

Saturday - OUT!
With two sets of grandparents and a gaggle of 7 year olds showing up for a party the next day, no way am I cooking supper on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment