Friday, September 21, 2012

Weekend Recipe Review - Spicy Bean Burritos


In reality this weekend I should be reviewing a soup I made yesterday in the slow cooker for dinner.  But what really happened is I woke up yesterday morning with a headache and an upset stomach, came home from work early, and took a little nap before I had to pick up the 7 year old and the other boy I keep.  I got home at 5:30p.m. with the 7 year old, told my husband he was on his own, and went upstairs to bed.  I did come down at some point and have a very small bowl of soup, and I'm pretty sure it was delicious.  My husband said it was.  But there were no pictures taken and after I ate a bit of it, I went straight back to bed until about 6:30 this morning.

Instead, here's a review of a recent favorite of ours that is fast and easy and pretty versatile too.  These spicy bean burritos are actually how I found Annie's Eats.  An online friend of mine (who happens to work for BlogHer) shared this recipe with me several months ago.  This is one of my go-to recipes for those busy nights when I have an extra boy or have Scouts to get ready for at 6:30.  It's budget friendly too.



The only thing I really do differently with this recipe is I omit the chipotle in adobo sauce.  The recipe calls for so little of it, it's not really worth it to me to add it in.  Plus it makes the beans a bit more friendly to the "picky" 7 year old.  We serve this with whatever we happen to have on hand at the time - lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, sour cream, extra salsa, tomatillo salsa, etc.  I usually pair this with cilantro lime rice or just plain jasmine rice.  And I have to admit that normally I don't even make these into burritos.  I just fold them up like a taco instead.  My husband likes them burrito style, and the friend that passed the recipe on to me uses the mixture to make tostadas.

1 comment:

  1. looks like an easy fix for a weekday nite dinner to me! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete