Monday, September 24, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - September 23 - 29


Phew!  I barely made it through last week in one piece.  I ended up with an awful headache on Thursday that is still coming and going, as I'm writing this on Saturday afternoon.  A trip to the chiropractor is in order!
The weather, here, though has been incredible.  It's currently in the mid 70's with a slight breeze.  I just want to hang out in my hammock all day.  Instead, though, I'll be cleaning the house.  The 7 year old will be "the 8 year old" in TWO weeks and I've got a lot to do to get the house ready for his party between now and then. Also, it's possible in the next few days, we may be buying a car (for really cheap) from my in-laws that we'll have to go pick up.

The 7 year old and I went to the library on Friday.  I checked out Julia Child's From Julia Child's Kitchen and Jamie Oliver's The Naked Chef.  (Wonder what Julia Child thought about Jamie Oliver?)  Hoping to find some good simple recipes in both.

And finally, what do you think of the changes to the blog?  I like my new header and the fun font.  I've also joined Pinterest and created a Facebook page.

Sunday - Grilled Flounder, Corn on the Cob, Sweet Potato Latkes
We bought some flounder at the community market, as well as some late season corn on the cob.  The latkes were very good and I'll share the recipe soon.  Even my husband, who isn't always fond of sweet potatoes liked them.  But I can't show you the ones I made last night.  I made them with a purple sweet potato (also from the community market), which sounds neat, but in reality they looked burned and weird through and through.  The 7 year old asked for corn on the cob and ate every bit of it that we gave him.  He asked if we would buy him more next week at the community market.  YAY!!!


Monday - Fettuccine Alfredo, Salad, Bread
Per my husband's request.  I was very pleased and a little surprised to find some fall broccoli at the community market not 5 minutes after my husband asked for alfredo.  Our schedule has changed and we have the other boy I care for today instead of Thursday this week, so this will be an easy meal to work on just as he's being picked up.

Tuesday - Out 
We have the other boy at his house today and will swing by Taco Bell probably on the way home.

Wednesday - Hamburger Macaroni Casserole
A recipe I adapted several years ago from one of my favorite cookbooks,

Thursday - Ham and Potato Casserole, Corn, Bread
Simple and classic.  How could I go wrong.  I'm going to use ham this time because I still have just a tiny bit in the freezer leftover from Easter.  Next time I might try the original suggestion and use sausage.

Friday - Creamy Onion Soup, Bread
From my best friend.  This soup turns out so sweet and savory and rich.  We love it.

Saturday - Leftovers
Pretty sure that even with me eating leftovers for lunch, we'll have plenty. I won't need to cook on Saturday, which will be really nice.

1 comment:

  1. Good Afternoon Laura, How lovely to have warm weather, we have torrential wind and rain at the moment....brrrr! I don't think Julia Child would have understood Jamie with his Essex twang. He does have some very good recipes, I hope you enjoy his cookery book. Take care, Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete