Thursday, October 25, 2012

Slow Cooker 2 Bean Turkey Chili - Recipe



I have grown up with a particular chili recipe that I'm sure has been in the family for at least 3 generations.  I love that chili.  On a cool fall night, I could eat it all evening long.  The thought that another chili recipe would come into the house was absurd.  However, in skimming the blogsphere for vegetarian and lower fat recipes, I stumbled across a 3 bean chili recipe made with ground turkey that sounded delicious.

The original recipe called for chickpeas, which neither my husband or I are fond of, and kidney beans, which I am not fond of.  And the morning I was going to throw everything in the crock pot, I discovered what I thought was a can of tomato sauce, was in fact, a second can of diced tomatoes.  Not having time (or inclination) to run to the grocery store, I improvised with a small can of tomato juice instead.  The original recipe went through a couple incarnations before I came up with my now Two Bean Turkey Chili that I love almost as much as the one I grew up on.  I like the lighter flavor of the chicken or turkey, the savory taste of the chilies and the thinner texture the tomato juice offers.

On a cool fall night, I'll still want to curl up with a cup of the meaty, hearty chili of my childhood, but this chili makes its way in to our meal plan rotation frequently as well.

Slow Cooker 2 Bean Turkey Chili

1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 small onion, diced
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 6-ounce can (or 3/4 cup) tomato juice
1 4.5-ounce can chopped chilies
1 15.5-ounce can black beans
1 15.5-ounce can pinto beans or Bush's chili hot beans
1 tablespoon chili powder, more if desired

Brown turkey and onion in skillet over medium heat until meat is cooked through.  Pour into crock pot.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Cook low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment