Saturday, September 22, 2012

Slow Cooker Barbeque Chicken


Even though I only work outside of the home from 9:00a.m. to 1:00p.m., all my extra activities after school is dismissed means weekdays get pretty busy around here sometimes.

On a busy weekday, you just can't go wrong with putting the ingredients for barbeque chicken in the slow cooker in the morning to have supper ready fast that evening.  What's even better for me is that the 7 year old loves this.
My slow cooker cooks really fast, so my chicken is generally done in 5 hours on low, but some slow cookers may take the full 8 hours on low.  I've started out with the same ingredients for the barbeque sauce on my Baby Back Barbeque Ribs, but I've deleted the Tabasco Sauce.  The amounts are slightly different too.

This freezes extremely well.  I often make a double batch in my 6 quart slow cooker and freeze the leftovers for another meal.  Just defrost in the fridge and reheat in a large pot on the stove.

Slow Cooker Barbeque Chicken

1 1/2 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke 
1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine first 6 ingredients in slow cooker.  Add chicken breasts.  Cook on low for 8 hour or high for 4.

Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and shred by pulling with two forks.  Add the chicken back in the slow cooker and mix with sauce well.

Serve on hamburger or kaiser rolls.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the freezer meal! I can always use more of those. And thank you for stopping by and linking this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love slow cooker recipes and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete