Sunday, July 1, 2012

Low, the Winds Blow

This is not my house, but one in my neighborhood.  Source
On Friday, June 29, a huge wind storm called a derecho swept through my city, leaving over half the city without power.  Today - Sunday - we still don't have electricity and have left town to stay with my parents' until... Well, we don't know when.  Fortunately we do not have any significant damage to our home, although there is a large branch across our back yard and countless smaller branches, twigs and leaves that must be dealt with when we return.

The first thing we did Saturday morning when we realized that we may not have electricity for several days was to pack up all our food.  When you're a food blogger who cooks almost exclusively from scratch, you can imagine how much food there is to rescue.  I took the essentials and the most expensive items and we ended up trucking it around the city in search of a working fridge.  One had been promised to us at my work place, but just as we arrived, the power went out there.

Late in the day, we realized we could not spend the night in our house as it was 95* in our bedrooms at 4:00p.m.  So we packed up and evacuated two and a half hours to my parents'.

Until I get home, assess the damage, and begin cooking again, I'm going to put the blog on "emergency" hiatus.  Hopefully I'll only be gone a few days, but there are no guarantees.

In the mean time, I hope each of you have a wonderful, safe holiday.

PS - And after being in a fridge without power for 12 hours, then bouncing around in coolers in the trunk of my car for another 10 hours, surprisingly most of my food has survived so far.  It's now safely stored in my parents' large upright freezer and fridge.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your house is fine and you were able to save your fridge/freezer contents. Living in a hurricane prone area, I know what you mean.

    Your macaroni salad was the top-viewed link from last week's See Ya in the Gumbo. It will be featured tonight when this week's link goes up. Congrats and thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the well wishes. We're talking about going home tomorrow but we're not 100% sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad! I wish you and your family all the best and that you'll be able to return to your home safely very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad and stressful bit at the same time we are very grateful. There are many others who were/ are not as forunate. One of my best friends is in DC without power. They arr trying to evacuate but cannot find gas for their car to do so.

    ReplyDelete